Sunday, February 1, 2015

Mailbag

I get quite a few private emails asking for advice or problems concerning a vehicle. Rather than answering them privately I will answer them online so we can all benefit. I will display the email in full as it was sent but I will not disclose the senders email address. Just in case they want to be anonymous. Please realize I get email from all over the world so sometimes spelling and sentence structure may not be perfect. Cut them some slack.  Here are a few. My answer will be in blue writing.


Hi i am a technician that reads your blog with great anticipation , i recently had a 05 max semuler to your 06 maxima you covered in your 2015 January blog came into the shop running and then would not start for nothing with the same symptoms .  Customer would not go no further with the reapers or diagnostics but i feel pretty sure it was the seem problem . You make it look so easy  ,  if you had to choose between diagnostic equipment , training , information what would you chose why and in what order and thank you so very much looking forward to the next one , just wondering have you considered videos sometimes and thanks again you are the man .

Thank you for reading. I really enjoy getting feedback from the people who read it. Believe me it is not easy. You see after it has been processed and written up. Plus, after the repair has been made it always looks easy and logical. I get my butt kicked just like every other tech. I always look at it as a learning experience. Even though when I am in the heat of the moment I don't think that way. 

On to your question about choices. I would not be able to choose between the three. They intertwine and are dependent on each other. You need diagnostic equipment. But, you also need training to use the equipment to it's full potential. You definitely need accurate current information to repair vehicles today. There is so much that you can't memorize information. I think a blend of the three along with dedication by the technician equals a successful career. You have to be willing to put in the time to excel in this industry. You have to ask "Why did that happen?" instead of "I don't care".

I have considered videos. Anyone that knows me will tell you I am better in real life. I am a very animated and demonstrative person. Maybe, I will have to start my video career. As far as me being the man. Thank you. But, I am just one of many dedicated, intelligent, and caring technicians in this industry. There are many "Men" and some "Women" as well. 



Am an automobile technician. I have a 2000 Pathfinder that won't start. There's spark on the plugs and there's good pressure on the fuel pump. I scanned it and got the P1320 code. Pls what do I do?   



Well this can go many ways here. Let's start with the P1320 code. The P1320 in it's self usually doesn't cause a no start. Now let' examine your testing. You say you have spark. How are we measuring that? Are you using a scope? Screwdriver? I would recommend what I call my $14.00 scope. This is an adjustable spark tester that you unscrew to create an air gap. Not a bulb type tester. They are on any tool truck. Get one and unscrew it out to 30KV which is approximately 3/4 of an inch. Now do we have bright white consistent spark while cranking? Then we have to talk about whether we are getting spark at the proper time. That can get a little involved. Many methods from simple to hi tech.

Good pressure on the pump. What was the pressure?  Did we use a gauge? Or did we use the calculation of how far the fuel shot out in feet to pressure calculation? I am kidding on that last one. Where did we put the gauge? In place of the fuel filter, inline or "deadheaded" on the end of the pressure line. This placement will make a big difference. But, hey lets make it simple and fast. If we spray some good quality carburetor spray in the throttle body and crank it over does it kick? Want to start? Or nothing? Are the plugs coming out wet or dry?  

Was there any recent work done to the vehicle. When was the last time the vehicle started? Is the fuel stale? Injectors glazed over from rotten fuel? What kind of tooling do we have at our disposal? These are all factors to consider. Start with spark quality and then see if it wants to kick on carburetor spray. Keep us posted and I am sure we can get your Pathfinder rolling again or give it a proper burial. 




1 comment: